The Facility’s reuse program has resulted in an innovative biosolids management solution that is a major improvement from previous methods of biosolids management and that provides a model for sustainable, beneficial reuse of what was previously regarded as a waste product.
The facility’s key environmental benefits include:
- 100 per cent beneficial use of pelletised biosolids generated from the plant as fertiliser for broad acre cropping and pastures across Central and Western Victoria
- 80 per cent reduction in land area required for biosolids processing at BRWRP
- 40 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions when compared with biosolids treatment by long-term storage and air drying
- 60 per cent fewer truck movements (over 1000 truckloads annually), reducing greenhouse emissions by more than 300 tonnes per year
- a fully enclosed, treatment facility that controls dust, noise and odour
- a stable, easily handled, pelletised product that results in zero odour emissions arising from the beneficial use of biosolids
- pellet drying technology that uses recycled water from the BRWRP to condense the vapour evaporated from the biosolids and then returns the condensate to the Plant for reuse. As a result, the Facility has the capacity to reduce its reliance on mains water by up to 1,825 mega litres per annum.